Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Reclaiming What is Mine





Title: Reclaiming What is Mine
Author: Sheena Binkley
Genre: Romance
Asia Alexander has had a rough couple of months, from losing her job to losing the place she shared with her husband, Dwight. To make matters worse, Dwight doesn’t want to do anything to help the situation. Asia is at her wits end and doesn’t know what more she can do. She wants to reclaim her life but doesn’t know where to start until one fateful day, she walks into a coffeehouse and meets Bryon Gibson. Bryon is everything that Dwight is not, and Asia wants to get to know him. But when she starts to get attached, she wonders if she should continue their friendship before she destroys what's important to her, her marriage.

Bryon Gibson didn’t believe in love until he set his eyes on Asia. She’s everything he wants in a woman, but there’s one thing blocking his chances with her: She’s married. But when Asia finds out that he's been keeping a major secret from her, will he be able to regain her trust, or will he have to walk away in order to protect her?

Due to his various misdeeds, Dwight Alexander is slowly losing his wife. From their financial problems to growing apart, their issues have taken a toll on him, causing him to seek comfort in someone else. But he's also withholding information about his profession and wonders if his marriage is worth fighting for, or if he should just move on with his life.

Excerpt
Prologue 
Asia  

Growing up, my mom always told me that life could be unpredictable. Boy, was she right. Never in my 27 years did I expect my life to become so complicated. I wished my mom was still here so I could talk to her, because I really needed her advice right now. She was the voice of reason and gave such great advice.  
I picked up my suitcase and looked around the room that my husband and I had been sharing for the past six months. Although I should have felt sad about leaving, a part of me was actually excited. I hadn't been in my own place in years, so I was looking forward to a space that was mine without having to hear anyone’s nagging. If I did, I was sure I’d be stabbing someone soon.  I’m not a violent person, but for the past few months, I was definitely tempted.  
As I put a few things into a bag, the front door opened, and my husband walked in. He looked happy until he saw me with my suitcase; then his smile immediately turned into a frown.  
“What are you doing, Asia?” 
“I thought you were going to be home late.”  
“Don’t change the subject. What are you doing with your suitcase? What’s going on?” 
“As if you didn’t know. What did you think, Dwight? That I was going to come back and everything would be okay? I can’t do this anymore. I tried to make things work between us, but I just can’t.”  “Can’t what? Asia, I know things have been rough lately, and I’m mostly the blame for it, but I promised you before we moved in here that I was going to get us back on track. I'm going to get us back to where we were before everything happened.”  
“Are you? You have caused more issues trying to fix the ones we had! I’ve been hearing this same tune for the past 10 years, and nothing has changed. It sounds like a broken record, Dwight, and I’m tired of it. You have lied and cheated your way for the past few months, and I can’t deal it with anymore.” 
“So you’re leaving me? Where are you going to go?”  
“I have somewhere I can go,” I retorted. I pushed past my husband and went to the door. He grabbed my arm then pulled me to face him. 
“So you’re going to throw our marriage away because of what happened? I know I cheated, and I’m sorry. I regret what I did. As for our financial problems, I wasn’t the only one who wasn’t contributing, Asia.”  
 “I’ve been doing more in this relationship than you have. I’m not going to continue living this way. I refuse to. It’s best if we just walk away,” I said and shrugged myself from his grasp.  
I went to the door, praying that my ride was waiting for me somewhere else. I didn’t want him at the house in case Dwight showed up. I didn’t need an altercation to go down. If one did, that would had been another thing Dwight’s aunt would blame on me.  
As I walked to the kitchen, Dwight yelled my name. I kept walking, ignoring him. If I listened to what he had to say, I probably wouldn’t go through with my plan. Even though Dwight and I were experiencing a rocky marriage, I was still in love with him. We'd been together for half of our lives, and it hurt to know that things had come to this. But I couldn't continue being unhappy. I had given him so many chances to change, but it never happened. To me, the line had been drawn, and it was time to move on.  
I looked down the street and saw Bryon’s car parked. I really didn’t want to go because I knew Dwight would follow me; but if I didn’t, Bryon would come to me, so I didn’t have a choice. I 
rushed to the car and saw him sitting in the driver’s seat. He smiled then quickly looked at me, concerned when he saw my sad look.  
“What’s wrong?” “It’s Dwight. He knows.”  
“Get in,” he told me.  
I quickly put my suitcase in the backseat and hopped in beside him. Before I could close the door, Dwight was jogging toward the car with a heated expression.  
“I should have known! So you’re leaving me for him?! Are you kidding me?!”  
“Please, Dwight, do not make a scene.”  
“I knew something was going on between you two after that night. How long has this been going on?!”  
“You’re one to talk since you were cheating on your wife with your co-worker,” Bryon interjected. 
Before I could say anything else, Bryon hopped out of the car and stomped to Dwight.  
“Listen, we don’t want any problems. Just let Asia go so she can figure things out, okay?”  
“This is between my wife and me, so I suggest you back the hell up!” Dwight shouted and shoved him.  
“Dwight, please!”  
Bryon grabbed Dwight by his shirt and threw him against his car, causing it to shake. The two began hitting each other, which made me a little anxious. I didn’t want them to fight, because with their tempers, someone could possibly end up dead.  
“Stop it, you two!” I yelled, trying to break it up. They definitely didn’t need to fight in this neighborhood because one of the neighbors would be quick to call the police.  
Byron sucker-punched Dwight, but Dwight shook it off and threw Bryon onto the ground. I   tried to push Dwight off of Bryon as he had him pinned on the ground; instead he elbowed me across my chin, knocking the wind out of me. Before I knew it, my body hit the ground, knocking me out cold.  
My life had already been a roller coaster before this night, but now, things were even more complicated. I never imagined that I would be leaving my husband for another man, but with the way things had been, it was only a matter of time before I walked away… 


Author Bio:

Sheena Binkley first discovered her love for storytelling when writing her first story for a class project at the tender age of nine. Since then, she has composed several short stories and numerous tales that are not only engaging, but simply entertaining. She is also a freelance writer, penning articles on various topics including education and entertainment. In November of 2014, she signed her first publishing deal with Write House Publishing under "Tiece Presents". Her first series, Something Just Ain't Right, was released in January. Besides writing, she loves reading, shopping, and spending time with family and friends. She lives in Houston (where the weather is always unpredictable) with her husband and son.


Links:


Social Media:
Twitter: @ChevonBink
Pinterest: Sheena Binkley



No comments:

Post a Comment