Friday, March 10, 2017



Title: Solomon’s Bell
Author: Michelle Lowery Combs
Genre: YA Fantasy
To save her family, Ginn uses her newfound genie powers to transport herself and her friends to 16th century Prague. Only one thing there remains the same as at home:  she can't let anyone know what she really is.

The Emperor of Prague and those closest to him are obsessed with magic. In pursuit of it, they’ve waged war on the citizens of their city. In the citizens' defense, someone has brought to life a golem, a dangerous being with connections to an artifact capable of summoning and commanding an entire army of genies. Can Ginn escape the notice of the Emperor as she attempts to discover a way to defeat Prague’s golem in time to save her family from a similar creature?

Solomon's Bell is the sequel to Heir to the Lamp and the second book of the Genie Chronicles series.


Author Bio


Michelle is an award-winning writer and blogger who studied business and English at Jacksonville State University. She lives in Alabama with her husband and their army of children. When not in the presence of throngs of toddlers, tweens, and teens, Michelle can be found among the rows of her family's farm, neglecting her roots and dreaming up the next best seller. She is a member of the Alabama Writers' Conclave and the Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators (SCBWI).



Links
Official page:

Goodreads:


Barnes & Noble:

iBookstore:


Book Excerpt

I’m supposed to be studying, so I try not to fathom how my dork of an older brother has ended up with a Barbie like Malory. Algebra, algebra, algebra, I remind myself. You have an exam tomorrow! But it’s no use. Not with Malibu Malory playing Xbox with my brother in the room next door. Something about her makes me tense and irritable. Especially when I compare her straight blonde hair that shimmers in the sun to the curly brown hair abomination I’ve been cursed with… apparently for life. It also irks me that Malory’s the right size for a teenage girl. I tower over all of my eighth-grade classmates like a human skyscraper.

“Wuts wrong?” Caleb Scott texts me.

I’m always amazed at Caleb’s ability to sense my mood even when we’re only texting. I’m tempted to complain about how much Malory’s uber awesomeness is getting under my skin, but I don’t want Caleb taking notice himself if he hasn’t already.

“Nothing. I’m good. Sick of school. Lol. Glad ur back, though.”

It isn’t really a lie—the school year started five weeks ago, and I’m already missing summer. I’ll be okay once basketball season starts in a few weeks, and it helps that Caleb is back at Alexander this semester. He spent most of his freshman year at Plainview High, Alexander’s biggest rival. Caleb is a sophomore like CJ and Malory, so we don’t have any classes together. We do see each other at lunch, though.

Caleb and I aren’t officially a couple—he hasn’t asked me to be his girlfriend or anything, and I’m pretty sure my parents would say he’s too old for me even if he did. He’s not even sixteen yet! What I can’t say to my mom and dad is: “What’s a two year age difference between people who’ve survived an imp attack together?”

My parents don’t know I’m a genie—neither did I until last year. They’d never let me out of their sight if they knew about the Order of the Grimoire and how they were probably trying to figure a way to summon and imprison me… again… at any given moment. Not a day has passed in the last ten months that I haven’t checked my closet and under the bed for one of the ugly lump-covered, winged imps the Order likes to use to spy on anyone they suspect to be in possession of any kind of magic.


No comments:

Post a Comment