Monday, February 16, 2015

Entertaining Angels & Before We Say I Do by Emerald Barnes




Entertaining Angels & Before We Say I Do by Emerald Barnes


Entertaining Angels SYNOPSIS
Madison Andrews can’t face her reflection in the mirror. All she sees is a big, fat nobody. Yet, deep inside she longs for something more, something that’s not skin deep.
Along comes Zach, the new guy in school. He’s smoking hot and totally out of her league. She somehow catches his eye, and he makes her feel beautiful for once. But just as she gets close to Zach, her nerdy best friend, Chase, won’t let Madison doubt her true beauty, no matter how many meals she skips.

Even as Madison begins to realize that she is more than what she thinks, darker forces are at work, darker than the lies and mocking from her peers, stopping her from amounting to her full potential. Can Madison find true happiness in her own skin?

Before We Say I Do (sequel novella) SYNOPSIS

Following the best-selling first book of the series, Entertaining Angels, comes Before We Say I Do, An Entertaining Angels Short Story.

Chase Sanders and Madison Andrews are about to declare their love for one another in the most sacred of ways. Everything has been going perfectly, especially when an old friend returns to town to stand by Chase’s side on their big day. But is Zach there to see their union, or is he concealing the truth of why he’s actually back in town?

Chase has lived perfectly fine without his father around, but now that his father is divorcing again, he is seeking forgiveness. Chase can’t look at his father, let alone forgive him.

Before Chase and Mads can say “I Do,” Chase must first learn to let go of the past before the dark forces that haunt his nightmares come to life.

*This is a short story and isn't a prequel to Entertaining Angels. In order to understand it, you'll need to read Entertaining Angels first.*

PURCHASE

Read an Excerpt of Chapter One from Entertaining Angels:

I’m the girl that my friends would throw into a pack of zombies if it meant they could stay alive longer. Well, they really wouldn’t have to throw me to the zombies; I’d probably lag so far behind I’d become zombie food. See, I’m not too thin, and I’m not too pretty. I’m just me, Madison Andrews, a fat sixteen-year-old girl from Nowheresville, Mississippi.

I sifted through my clothes, looking for something to wear for the first day of my junior year of high school. Standing in front of the mirror, looking at myself, I pinched the fat on my belly, disgusted that I had let myself gain so much weight over the summer.
I hated that mirror. I hated that it showed me for what I really was. A fat nobody. I could see the lumps, rolls, and fat. It did nothing but damage my soul. My blue eyes stared back at me, but they were empty, void of happiness. I should feel beautiful, but I didn’t. The mirror won’t let me be beautiful.
I had really wanted to lose weight, but Chase Sanders, my best friend, and I decided to veg out on the couch and watch countless hours of science fiction shows instead of going to the gym. Yeah, that’s my best friend for you. A big ole nerd.
I, on the other hand, wanted to fit in this year. I was tired of being a nobody, but since I was still fat and ugly, fitting in wasn’t gonna happen. I’d have to settle for my old life. I continued looking through my clothes, sure that I had something my mom insisted on buying me that would cover this hideous belly. I was wrong.
Frustrated, I pulled on a baggy t-shirt with my school’s name on it and a pair of dark denim jeans. I slipped on my flip flops, pulled my frizzy brunette curls into a ponytail, and put on makeup. I studied my reflection in the mirror, curling my nose at the sight. It’d have to do.
“Mads!” my mom yelled, “Hurry up!  Breakfast is getting cold.”
Just what I need, more food, I thought as I opened my door and walked down the hallway. My mom stood at the counter, pouring her travel mug full of coffee, while my thirteen-year-old brother, Connor, sat at the table, shoving food into his mouth. He sneered at me when I took a seat beside him. I stuck my tongue out at him when Mom looked away.
Mom had made her traditional first day of school breakfast—frozen waffles, overheated in the toaster.
“Looks good, Mom,” I said, sarcasm dripping off my tongue.
She shot me “the look.”  Connor and I had learned to fear that look as kids; that “Just wait. You’ll get it when we get home,” look. Now things were different.
“Mads, if you don’t like it, don’t eat,” she said, pinching the bridge of her nose.
“It’s fine.”
She exhaled slowly, and I felt horrible that I’d bashed her breakfast. I knew she meant well, but my idea of a good breakfast wasn’t this. That was my problem. I longed for more than just waffles. Throw some bacon in there, and all was good. I poked my waffles with a fork. They crunched. I smothered them in butter and syrup, hoping that it would help the taste.
Connor said, “Whoa. Don’t wanna get even fatter, Mads. Better watch it.”
“Shut it, Connor,” I said, resisting the urge to slap him.
“Connor David Andrews!  You watch your mouth. Don’t make me tell your father.”
That was Mom’s usual tactic. She’d threaten us with Dad, and if that didn’t work, she’d take our cell phones away. That usually got our attention. Yeah. I couldn’t imagine spending the day without my phone. Connor totally wasn’t worth it.
Taking the phone away from Connor wouldn’t stop him. Honestly, Connor teased me all the time. I’d come to expect it. Still didn’t make it any easier to bear, though.
I pushed my waffles aside and drank the orange juice. I probably should’ve had water instead, but I needed some kind of sugar to keep me going throughout the day, especially since Mom forbade me to drink coffee at such a young age. Like she didn’t when she was sixteen.
Connor finished his breakfast, his brown hair covered his face while he ate. When he finished, he gave his plate to Mom and ran off. I stared at my waffles, wondering if I should eat something or not.
Mom took a seat beside me and straightened out her blazer. “Mads,” she said gently, and I knew what was coming. The talk. I rolled my eyes and leaned back in my seat.
“Don’t let Connor get to you. You aren’t fat, baby. You’re beautiful.”
“Thanks.”
I tried to keep the derision out of my voice. Mom was tall, leggy, and skinny. How did I get the fat genes in the family? I know moms are supposed to think their kids are beautiful no matter what, but did she really think I was? Or was she just saying that because it was what I wanted to hear?
  

The Author



Emerald’s Website / Twitter / Facebook / Google+

Emerald Barnes graduated with a B.A. in English with an emphasis on Creative Writing at Mississippi University for Women. She resides in a small town in Mississippi and has the accent to prove it.

She's constantly working on new novels and has more ideas than she knows what to do with. She blogs at emeraldbarnes.blogspot.com and ebarnes23.wordpress.com which takes up more of her time than she anticipates but loves it so very much!

She's an auntie to three beautiful nieces and two handsome nephews who take up the other half of her time, but she couldn't imagine spending her time in any other way!

She's a Whovian, a little bit of a nerd, a reader, a writer, and a family-oriented person. God is number one in her life, and she thanks Him continuously for His love and favor.

She loves to stay in touch with her readers and to hear their stories about her work! Feel free to connect with her.



No comments:

Post a Comment