Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Decoherence By Liana Brooks



Decoherence
By
Liana Brooks

Single or Series:  3rd and last book in the Time & Shadows trilogy
Length of Book:   400 pages/ 87,000 words
Genre:   Science Fiction


Author Bio:


Liana Brooks writes science fiction and sci-fi romance for people who like fast ships, big guns, witty one-liners, and happy endings. She lives in Alaska with her husband, four kids, and giant mastiff puppy. When she isn’t writing she enjoys hiking the Chugach Range, climbing glaciers, and watching whales.
*****
Blurb:
Readers of Blake Crouch's DARK MATTER and Wesely Chu's TIME SALVAGER will love Liana Brooks' DECOHERENCE--the thrilling, time-bending conclusion to the Time & Shadow series!
Samantha Rose and Linsey MacKenzie have established an idyllic life of married bliss in Australia, away from the Commonwealth Bureau of Investigation, away from mysterious corpses, and—most of all—away from Dr. Emir’s multiverse machine.
But Sam is a detective at heart, and even on the other side of the world, she can’t help wonder if a series of unsolved killings she reads about are related—not just to each other, but to the only unsolved case of her short career.
She knows Jane Doe’s true name, but Sam never discovered who killed the woman found in an empty Alabama field in spring of 2069. She doesn’t even know which version of herself she buried under a plain headstone.
When Mac suddenly disappears, Sam realizes she is going to once more be caught up in a silent war she still doesn’t fully understand. Every step she takes to save Mac puts the world she knows at risk, and moves her one step closer to becoming the girl in the grave.

Buy Links: Amazon | Barnes and Noble | Kobo |  HarperCollins | Google Play | iBooks

*****
Excerpt:
Decoherence (n): a period of time when all iterations collapse and there is only one possible reality.
~ Excerpt from Definitions of Time by Emmanuela Pine, I1
Day 247
Year 5 of Progress

Capitol Spire

Main Continent

Iteration 17—Fan 1

… three. Rose stood and peered through the frosted, warped glass of the conference room as the speaker turned away. It didn’t matter which iteration she was in, Emir was predictable. She had seven seconds to do a head count. She didn’t need that long.
A quick head count was all it took to confirm that the einselected nodes she’d been sent to assassinate were where they belonged.
Every iteration had nodes, people or events that kept that variation of human history from collapsing. Dr. Emir had created a machine that allowed people not only to move along their own timeline, but at critical convergence points, it allowed them to cross between realities. But the Mechanism for Iteration Alignment’s greatest ability was the one that allowed Dr. Emir and Central Command to steer history by erasing futures they didn’t want.
Rose knelt beside the door, did one final sweep for alarms, and nodded for her team to move in. It was her job to cross at convergence points, kill the nodes, and collapse the futures that no one wanted.
One look at the version of herself watching this iteration’s Emir with rapt fascination was enough to make Rose want to snip this future in the bud.
Chubby was the first thing that came to mind. Rose’s doppelganger was enjoying being at the top of the social pyramid and probably gorging on whatever passed as a delicacy here. The squared bangs with a streak of riotous red only accented the corpulence and lack of self-control the inferior other had.
Even with a heavy wood door between them, Rose could hear that this iteration’s Emir was hypothesizing things the MIA was never meant to do. Everyone with half a brain knew that decoherence didn’t combine iterations, it crushed them. Only the true timeline, the Prime, would survive decoherence. Planning to welcome and integrate doppelgangers into the society was pure idiocy.
The techs sealing the door shut gave her the high sign.
Rose nodded to her hacker.
“Cameras locked. Security is deaf and blind, ma’am”Logan’s voice was a soft whisper in her earpiece. He was a genius with computer systems, a fact that had saved him when they collapsed I-38 three years ago. “We have a fifteen-minute window.”




Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

The message throughout the Time & Shadows series is that CHOICES MATTER. Every choice has a consequence. Even the small choices matter. That’s the running theme, and I hope it’s something readers can use in their lives.
Was there an Author who inspired you to write?
Joss Whedon, actually. I grew up watching Buffy and the first few novels I wrote really cued off his style of Found Family themes. When I was working towards publication I found myself reading and rereading his interviews about writing. He was writing for screen, not print, but his advice really resonated. Especially the bits about embracing your weirdness. Quirks are what make authors unique, and we need to keep our weirdness to write great things.
How did you come up with the characters in your books?
The characters in DECOHERENCE are all from the previous Time & Shadows books. I don’t think I added to many new names. This is the third book in the trilogy and there’s a real sense of coming home and things falling into place in DECOHERENCE. All the chickens have come home to roost.
What are your current projects?
Novellas… I usually aim to publish one novella and one novel a year and I got off track. The Time & Shadows trilogy was acquired in a 3-book deal and published very fast, by big press standards, so I have these novellas I’ve been meaning to polish and publish just languishing in the wings. Now that the trilogy is done, they’re going to get some attention. I know my Even Villains fans are excited, and I’ve been teasing a new SFR for a couple months now.
I also have plans for more novels but that side of my career is in that hush-hush pitch-to-the-agent-and-pray-the-editors-like-it stage, so there’s not much I can say about it yet. Look for a 2017 announcement.
Do you see writing as a career?
I do. Writing is my main focus right now. This is where my energy and time goes. The bulk of my income comes from book sales. I have contracts. I’m not yet a household name, but I do feel like this is a career and I’m here for the long haul.
Do you ever picture yourself and one of your heroines?  If so, which one?
Sam would be the obvious choice since she’s the hero of the Time & Shadows series, but I think I feel closer to Ivy Clemens. Ivy is a clone in a world where clones are hated. She’s had a rough life, no real childhood. Ivy works hard and rarely gets credit for it, but she’s a good person with a wry sense of humor.
Ivy is me at 18: headstrong, sure of herself, and so painfully naïve at times but willing to work for everything she wants. I love her.
Do you have a favorite heroine/hero from one of your books? If so, who?
Mac is my not-so-secret favorite in the trilogy. He’s a combination of some good friends and my husband. It’s easy to get into Mac’s head because, when his back is against the wall, he only has one True North. His goal is always going to be protecting Sam, and getting back to Sam. He doesn’t have any doubts. Sam is his everything.
What kind of research do you do for your books?
For the Time & Shadows series I read up on quantum physics and time travel. I promise, I keep the technobabble to a minimum. But I wanted the series to be grounded in the theoretical and not the impossible. Who knows, maybe one day I’ll get a time traveler to review my book. J
What is the hardest part of writing your book?
The hardest part of DECOHERENCE was finding an ending that was emotionally and logically satisfying. This is hard to talk about without giving away the ending, so bear with me. The end of a trilogy needs to fulfill several requirements; it needs to wrap up the story so long time readers feel the ending was good, and it needs to be a book that new readers can pick up alone and still enjoy the ending.
I rewrote DECOHERENCE three or four times and bounced several ideas off my editor before finally settling on the ending I picked. There were other options, but I think this ending if the one that gives us the most emotional closure.
If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?
THANK YOU!!!! No one gets to have a career as a writer without readers. To keep publishing, and to keep having publishers publish my books, I need readers. They are the magic ingredient to publishing and I love them! *blows kisses*
What is your favorite Genre and why?
Science fiction has always been very important to me. I’m an optimist and I think anything that shows humanity with a bright future is to be encouraged. I love the diversity available in SF. I love how much freedom there is when I write SF. I love fast ships and big explosions. It’s a wonderful, huge, monstrous genre that everyone should embrace.
Do you prefer to write alone or do you like to collaborate with other authors?
I’ve never had the opportunity to co-author anything so I’m not sure I can give a fair answer here. So far, I love writing alone inasmuch as any book is ever written alone. DECOHERENCE has the input of beta readers, my agent (Marlene Stringer), my editor, a line editor, and even suggestions from other author friends who I went to with plot problems. I did all the typing, but there was definitely some group think going into the creation of DECOHERENCE. 
Do you ever get writer’s block? If so, how do you get through it?
Yes! I run into writer’s block frequently when I’m on a deadline because I’m pushing, and pushing, and pushing to meet that deadline, and all that pushing is draining. When I hit the point where I can’t write any more, I walk away from the computer and refill my creative well. Sometimes I paint, or go to a museum, or go hiking, or just do some yoga, but the goal is to completely break from the writing process and not consciously think about it.
It usually takes a few days of completely ignoring the book before I’m able to come back, see what the problem is, and get back to writing. And that’s part of the process.
When you are reading a book, who is your favorite author?
I have so many favorites! Right now I’m reading DARK MATTER by Blake Crouch (amazing opening scene). Pratchett’s Discworld is my comfort read. I enjoy Nalini Singh’s PsyChangeling world and anything by Ilona Andrews. I have BREATH OF EARTH by Beth Cato on my nightstand waiting for me to wrap up the DECOHERENCE tour, and this fall I’m looking forward to reading NEMESIS by Anna Banks.
Do you come up with the cover or does someone else do it?
DECOHERENCE was published by HarperVoygaer, which is a HarperCollins imprint. I was filled out a form and sent them a rough idea of what I wanted, and then their artist created six different covers to choose from.
With THE DAY BEFORE there was only one cover. With CONVERGENCE POINT we tossed around three ideas. So having six to choose from for DECOHERENCE was wonderful, but also very hard. There were several very nice covers that my editor and I both liked, but ultimately decided against because they either looked too much like someone else’s cover, or because they didn’t look good next to the rest of the covers in the series.
If DECOHERENCE had been a standalone, the cover would have been different.
If you could change anything in your writing what would that be?
Honestly? I think I would have waited to query THE DAY BEFORE. That first novel I sent out… looking back I see all my newbie flaws. At the time I thought the book was perfect, now I see things I want to tweak. So, if I knew everything that was going to happen going forward, I think I would have waited just a little bit longer and given THE DAY BEFORE a little more attention before I queried it.
What book if any would you want to be made into a movie?
DECOHERENCE would make an awesome movie! But I’d really love to see EVEN VILLAINS FALL IN LOVE or EVEN VILLAINS GO TO THE MOVIES as a movie. We have so many superhero movies, my villains would fit right in.
Who would you want to play the hero/heroine?
I could see Melissa Fumero from Brooklyn Nine Nine playing Sam. Bonnie Wright (Ginny) for Ivy maybe? And then, I don’t know who I would cast as Mac. Maybe your readers can suggest someone to play the ME who was once a former US Army Ranger? Brown hair, hazel eyes, a little over six foot? Got any suggestions?
Everyone uses computers, tablets, phones and no one uses handwritten form or typewriters, what do you prefer to use?
Waterproof keyboards! I snack while I write so waterproof keyboards are a must! In my office I have a Logitech keyboard, and when I’m out and about I have a folding Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard.  They both click and clack. They both are washable. Some of the letters are missing on the keyboard in my office, but that’s okay.
Is there a ritual you do every time before you begin your book?
I pick three antagonists and plan out four plot twists. That’s it. Once I have those, I can write a book.
What do you do when you finish your book and turn it in to the editor?
Start working on the next project. I know people who like to take a mini-vacation or have a party, but I don’t take breaks. I hand the book to my editor, and the next day I’m working on the next project that’s coming down the pipeline because there is always a story waiting to be told. And I’m happiest when I’m writing.







No comments:

Post a Comment